Mediterranean Vegetable Frittata
- • 8 eggs
- • ½ cup milk
- • 3 tbsp. olive oil
- • 2 small zucchini, ends trimmed, cut into 1cm bite-size pieces (unpeeled)
- • 1 small red sweet pepper, cut into bite-size pieces
- • 150g cherry tomatoes (plus extra on-the-vine for presentation, optional)
- • 1 long red chili, de-seeded & finely sliced (optional)
- • 1 tbsp. fresh oregano leaves, or 1 tsp. dried
- • 80-100g feta cheese (or goats cheese), crumbled
- • salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400°F
- In a bowl, crack the eggs and add the milk, season with salt & pepper and whisk thoroughly. Set aside.
- Add half the oil (about 1.5 tbsp.) to an oven-proof pan (preferably a cast iron skillet) over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the zucchini and sauté for about 4-6 minutes, until nicely browned. (The zucchini will still be firm and just partly cooked, as it will continue to cook in the oven). Remove the zucchini to a plate, set aside.
- Add the rest of the oil to the pan, and add the pepper and the tomatoes. Sauté for 4 minutes until the tomatoes are beginning to burst and peppers are getting some colour on them, then add the chili (if using). Cook for a minute more, then return the zucchini to the pan and season the mixture well. Sprinkle on the oregano, then pour in the egg mixture. Crumble the feta cheese on top evenly and place the vine cherry tomatoes in the center (if using).
- Cook for just 2-3 minutes till the bottom begins to set, then transfer the skillet to the preheated oven. Cook for 15-20 minutes until just set. Turn on the oven’s broiler to brown the top for about 5 minutes. Serve hot or at room temperature.
• If you don’t own a cast iron skillet or a stainless steel oven-proof pan, you can just cook the veggies in a regular non stick pan and then transfer them with the egg mixture to a greased baking dish or cake pan that has been left to preheat in the oven for a good 10-15 minutes or so, so that it is nice and hot when you pour your ingredients in. This will help the cooking process to continue seamlessly and not take ages in the oven.
• Feel free to add more or less vegetables or aromatics like onion and garlic, or change up the herbs/cheese as you like.