Late Summer Chowder
1 tablespoon oil
1 red onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 small jalapeno, diced (more or less, depending on spice tolerance!)
2 bell peppers, diced
2 cobs sweetcorn, cooked & removed from the cob
1 zucchini, diced
5 small red potatoes, cubed
1 teaspoon paprika, oregano, and parsley (each)
½ teaspoon thyme
2 tablespoons flour
3 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
1 cup milk
Salt & pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in pan over medium-high heat until hot. A handy trick to test the readiness of the pan is to toss in a small piece of diced onion along with the oil. When it starts to sizzle you know you’ve reached the right temperature!
- Once hot, add all the onion to the pan. Cook for 5 minutes until translucent and softened.
- Add the garlic and peppers and cook for another 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the corn, zucchini, spices, and flour. Mix until vegetables are evenly coated with the spices & flour.
- Next, slowly add the vegetable broth, stirring constantly.
- Once all the broth has been mixed in, add the potatoes. Lower the heat slightly and bring the mixture to a simmer. Cook for 15-20 minutes, until potatoes are softened.
- Add the milk and stir until hot.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste.