3 Quinoa Oatmeal Breakfasts
Sweet Potato & Walnut
1 cup Gluten Free Oats (Only Oats is one of my favourite brands)
1 Tbsp coconut oil
2 cups water
1/4 tsp salt
1 Tbsp cinnamon, powder
1/4 tsp nutmeg, powder
1 Tbsp flax seeds
1 cup quinoa, cooked
3 cups almond or soy milk (or any other milk alternative)
1/3 cup sweet potato, baked
1/4 cup shredded coconut, unsweetened
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 walnuts, chopped
2 Tbsp Maple Syrup (optional)
In a saucepan over medium heat, start by toasting the oat flakes in coconut oil until they are slightly brown.
Add water, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Bring to boil until oats are cooked.
Reduce heat to low and add almond milk, cooked quinoa, coconut, sweet potato, and vanilla extract. Bring to boil and let it simmer for five minutes.
Remove from heat and let stand covered for 5 minutes. Serve immediately, add extra almond milk, walnuts and maple syrup if desired.
- Add raisins or cranberries instead of sweet potato
- Add ginger powder instead of cinnamon
- Add 1 tsp of high quality Omega 3 oil. I use NutraSea as it doesn’t have a strong fish after taste. Make sure you add it to the individual serving, not while cooking.
- Add Chia seeds instead of flax seeds
- Sprinkle with roasted nuts or gluten free KIND honey clusters or gluten free granola for some crunch