Thai Butternut Squash and Coconut Soup
1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 1/2 lb Butternut Squash *
1/4 lb baby potatoes, white, peeled
2 garlic cloves, chopped or crushed
1/4 cup Thai red curry paste
2 1/2 cup vegetable stock
1 can coconut milk (400 ml)
2 Tablespoons peanuts, unsalted
1 stalk green onions, chopped
2 Tablespoons fresh coriander (cilantro),chopped
1 Tablespoon lime juice
* You may bake the Butternut Squash in the oven at 350 F degrees for 40 minutes to facilitate peeling and chopping
1. Heat oil in a saucepan at medium-high heat. Cook onion, for 5 minutes or until softened. Stir occasionally.
2. Add baked squash and the potato to the pan and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Add the garlic, stirring for 1 minute or until fragrant.
4. Add the curry paste until the vegetables are coated all over. Add the stock, cover and bring to boil.
5. Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 15 minutes.
6. Remove the lid and allow the mixture to simmer for 20 more minutes.
7. Remove from heat. Stand for 5 minutes.
8. Blend soup until smooth using a hand blender, then return to medium heat and stir in the coconut milk. Add black pepper to taste. Cook for 5 minutes or until heated through.
9. While soup cooks, combine peanuts, coriander, green onions and lime juice in a small bowl. Ladle soup into bowls and garnish with peanut mixture.
*recipe courtesy of Cristina Montoya