Fattoush Salad with a Digestive Friendly Twist
- 4 slices of whole-grain gluten-free bread or gluten-free pita bread
- 4 radishes, thinly chopped
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 small cucumber, chopped or sliced
- 1/4 cup feta cheese, crumbled (optional)
- 1 can light tuna in water (optional)
- 1/2 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1/3 cup finely chopped fresh mint or 2 teaspoons of dried mint
- 1 to 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil
- Toast the bread, just enough to turn them golden and crisp, break into pieces. Set aside.
- In a large salad bowl, combine the tomatoes, cucumber, green pepper, onions, chickpeas, tuna (if used), parsley, mint. Toss well.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the ingredients for the vinaigrette, minced garlic, salt, pepper, lemon juice and olive oil.
- Pour half of the vinaigrette to the tomato mixture and marinate for about 30 minutes in the fridge.
- Fold in the toasted bread. Add the remaining vinaigrette and toss well. Top with feta cheese (if used). Serve immediately.
✔ Use a food processor to chop the fresh parsley and fresh mint leaves
✔ Use store pre-chopped garlic, infused in olive oil if you are unable to peel and chop cloves of garlic
✔ Add feta cheese if you can tolerate small amounts of lactose
✔ Add chickpeas and tuna to turn this refreshing salad into a complete entree
Mint leaves not only add flavour and freshness to this salad, but it also adds a pack of antioxidants. Mint leaves are reported to alleviate some digestive issues. It’s, in fact, the recommended herbal tea for people suffering from Irritable Bowel Syndrome.
*recipe courtesy of www.arthritisdietitian.com