Savoury Chickpea Salad – Chaat
- 1 – 19 fl oz can chickpeas, low sodium, washed and rinsed
- 1 medium potato, peeled, cooked, diced
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- ½ cup cilantro, fresh, chopped
- 1/3 cup mint, fresh, chopped
- 1/3 cup tamarind or plum sauce
- ½ tablespoon fruit chaat masala seasoning (often includes mango powder, cumin, coriander, dried ginger, salt and black pepper) *see note below
- Juice from ½ a lime
- Sprinkle salt to taste (optional)
1. In a medium bowl, mix together lime juice and tamarind (or plum) sauce.
2. Add in tomatoes, onions, cilantro, mint, and chaat masala spices. Combine all ingredients.
3. Mix in the chickpeas and cooked diced potatoes.
4. Serve at room temperature or chilled.
✔ Find the fruit chaat masala seasoning at your local grocery store in the international section or buy online. You can also replace the chaat masala with ground cumin, red chilli powder, ginger powder, ground cloves, ground cinnamon, salt and pepper to taste.
✔ Replace potatoes with sweet potatoes for added fibre and vitamin A.
✔ Add diced avocado to enhance the mixture of flavours and textures. Avocado also contains healthy omega 3 fatty acids.
✔ Serve as a snack or as a light meal.
✔ First time eating chickpeas?Start with small amounts (1/2 cup at a time) to minimize bloating and gas.
*recipe courtesy of www.arthritisdietitian.com/