3/4 cup gluten-free whole-grain cornmeal flour
1 cup all-purpose gluten-free flour
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup Canadian maple syrup
3/4 teaspoon salt
3 teaspoons gluten-free baking powder
1 egg, room temperature
1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/3 cup plain yogurt (or cultured coconut yogurt)
3/4 cup milk (or your preferred plant-based beverage)
1. Pre-heat oven to 400 F and grease an 8″x8″ square baking pan.
2. In a medium bowl, sift together the gluten-free flour, cornmeal flour, baking powder and salt.
3. Place the egg in a medium bowl. Use an electric mixer on low-medium speed until the egg turns a pale yellow. Add olive oil, sugar and maple syrup. Mix together until combined.
4. Add dry ingredients slowly into the mixture and mix until combined.
5. Add yogurt and milk at low speed until combined. Let the mixture sit in the fridge for 15 minutes.
6. Pour the batter into the greased pan. Bake for 20-25 minutes until a tester inserted into the middle of the bread comes out clean. Remove the cornbread from the heat and let it cool for 10-15 minutes before serving.
✔ Not all gluten-free flours are created equal. Robin Hood and President’s Choice gluten-free flour worked well.
✔ Serve warm with a plant-based spread and cranberry sauce.
✔ Make the recipe completely vegan by replacing the dairy products with the plant-based alternatives aforementioned. To replace one egg, whisk together 1 tablespoon of ground flaxseeds or chia seeds with 3 tablespoons of water until well combined and absorbed.
*recipe courtesy or www.arthritisdietitian.com/