Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 10 minutes
*6 – 8 Servings
- ½ Cup frozen berries or berries about to go bad (washed)
- 2 Tablespoons chia seeds
- 1 Teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ Tablespoon pure maple syrup (optional)
- ½ Teaspoon cinnamon, powder
- 1-2 Teaspoon(s) Hemp Hearts (to sprinkle on toast)
- Banana slices (optional)
- Small saucepan
- Potato masher (optional)
- Heat a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Pour berries into the pan and let them defrost, and release water.
- Mash the berries with a fork or a potato masher.
- Turn heat down to low to prevent the berries from burning.
- Once the berries are mashed, add chia seeds and mix them into the berries.
- Allow the chia seeds to thicken up with the berry liquid.
- Add in maple syrup, vanilla and cinnamon.
- Mix thoroughly & enjoy!
✔ Frozen berries work just as well. Try different fruits, and you can be pleasantly surprised.
✔ Berries contain various active compounds, such as polyphenolic flavonoids, which emerging research shows their potential antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effect.
✔ Enjoy your Very Berry Jam on your favourite nut butter toast, pancakes, cheese and crackers, breakfast bowl, yogurt parfait.
This recipe was featured in the CreakyKitchen, February 2021 edition.