- Stay well hydrated to encourage the flow of saliva through the gland.
- Temporarily avoid foods and beverages that cause the pain and possible swelling.
- Apply warm compresses to the area to increase comfort.
- Ibuprofen may be taken temporarily to decrease pain and inflammation.
- Talk to your doctor about use of a mucolytic agent for 5-10 days to thin the saliva and allow it to easily pass through the salivary ducts.
In all cases of salivary gland swelling and associated pain a medical professional should be consulted as soon as possible to determine the cause.
*article courtesy of www.sjogrens.org